Cancer of the Testis

Cancer of the Testis

Over his lifetime, a man is risk of cancer of the testis or more commonly referred to as testicular cancer. It is a kind of cancer that usually occurs and progresses in one of the testicle of a man. The most common symptom is a lump swelling in the testicle.  Roughly in the US alone, around 8,000 cases of cancer of the testicle or testis had been identified each year. This testicular cancer is most common among teens and young adult males between the ages of 15-39 years old. It is also has the highest curable rate of all known cancers at over 90% or even 100% if the cancerous cells has not spread to other parts of the body, in medical term “metastasized” or simply termed as stage 4 cancer. Generally, 95% of testis cancer that are found in the testicles are germ cell tumors, and most of the remaining 5% are sex cord-gonadal stromal tumors obtained from a cell tissue of the testis that generally considered the main source of male sex hormone and more importantly testosterone or any elongated striated cells in the seminiferous tubules of the testis.

To some extent, not all abnormal masses or lumps found in the testicle are tumors cells and not all testicular tumors cells are malignant. There are also many other testicular conditions that may be found that are not cancerous such as testicular presence or formation of gravel, epididymis cysts, and appendix testis. The most current, decisive and the least hurtful of treatment are necessary to ensure correct diagnosis. The treatment can be through blood tests markers but the most definitive diagnosis is thru the analysis of a specimen by qualified doctors like a pathologists. It is encouraged that men must examine their testicles at least once a month especially if they come from the family with cancer history. Otherwise it is the right time for men 15-39 years old to start seeing doctors when the following symptoms of testicular cancer have been detected.

1. Lump in any one of the testis. Fortunately in this case no two testicles can be affected by this testicular cancer.

2. Pain or aching in the lower abdominal area or scrotum

3. A feeling of weightiness in the scrotum

4. Breast enlargement due to hormonal effects

5. Lower back pain

6. Shortness and/or difficulties of breath or coughing

If by and large, surgical treatment is necessary, biopsy should not be performed for it raises the risk of migrating cells to the scrotum.

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s